Nexo and Celsius are two of the most popular crypto savings, borrowing, and lending platforms in the US and the world. Nexo has over 550,000 active users, while Celsius has a user base of over 700,000. Both the platforms offer similar products and features.
Nexo and Celsius are SEC-regulated and completely safe and legit. Both platforms allow crypto users to deposit their assets and earn attractive interest rates. Additionally, you can use your crypto assets as collateral to borrow USD.
So, which platform is better for crypto-asset owners, and why?
This Nexo vs. Celsius comparison describes which crypto platform is better for lending and borrowing cryptos. Let’s delve in.
Nexo vs. Celsius: Supporting Crypto Assets & LTV
Celsius allows you to buy and earn interest on 38 cryptocurrencies and stablecoins. Celsius also has its native token – CEL.
Celsius has a flexible borrowing feature. You can decide the interest rate you want to pay, and the LTV adjusts accordingly. Here is how the relationship between interest rate and LTV on Celsius looks like.
- 00% interest rate – 25% LTV
- 95% interest rate – 33% LTV
- 95% interest rate – 50% LTV
Nexo allows you to buy and earn interest on 21 cryptocurrencies (at the time of writing). These include popular cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin and stablecoins like USDT and USDC. Nexo also has its native token – NEXO.
Nexo has different loan-to-value (LTV) ratios for different cryptocurrencies. Let’s look at the LTV ratio offered by Nexo on various assets.
- 15% – NEXO
- 30% – XRP, BCH, LTC, EOS, EOS, BNB, XLM, LINK, TRX, DOT, ADA, DOGE
- 50% – BTC, ETH
- 70% – PAXG
- 90% – USDT, USDC, PAX, TUSD, DAI, HUSD
Nexo offers crypto-backed loans starting at 6.9% interest rates
Nexo vs. Celsius: Interest Rates, Lock-in Terms & Payouts
Nexo and Celsius offer attractive interest rates on crypto savings accounts.
Celsius enables you to earn up to 17.78% interest on your deposits paid weekly. Again, the interest rate depends on the digital asset that you deposit.
The interest rate is the lowest – 0.50% – on MANA, KNC, and OMG tokens, which it’s the highest on SNX (13.99%) and MATIC (10.51%). The interest rate is 8.88% for stablecoins. For other cryptocurrencies, the interest rate oscillates between 0.50% and 13.99%.
You can get a substantial boost on your interest rates by earning in CEL. The minimum lock-up period is seven days, and Celsius pays out rewards every Monday.
Nexo allows you to earn up to a 12% annual percentage yield (APY) or interest rate, paid out daily. The interest rate depends on the crypto assets you deposit. Here is a breakdown of interest rates offered on Nexo.
- 10% – USDT, USDC, PAX, TUSD, DAI, HUSD, EURX, GBPX, USDX
- 6% – BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, LTC, BNB, EOS, LINK, XLM, TRX, PAXG, ADA, DOT
- 1% – DOGE
If you choose to earn in NEXO, you can earn an additional 2% interest rate on your current interest rate. Hence, 10% becomes 12%, 6% becomes 8%, and 1% becomes 3%.
Nexo has no mandatory lock-in periods, and the company pays out interest daily. Hence, you can benefit from compounding interest. You can also earn extra by locking your deposits for fixed terms.
Products & Features Comparison
Nexo and Celsius offer multiple products to help you make the most of your crypto assets. Here is a head-to-head comparison of the crypto products provided by the two platforms.
Celsius also offers various products and services to its users. These include:
- Savings Interest Account: Earn up to 17% interest paid out weekly. Get a bonus on receiving a payout in CEL.
- Crypto-Backed Loans: Borrow at 1% APR without any origination fee and credit checks. Enjoy the lowest industry rates and seamless refinance options.
- CEL Token: Buy and use the CEL token to get benefits of interest rates and earn more rewards.
- CelPay: Use the CelPay wallet to pay and get paid in crypto. It is easy, fast, and without any fee.
- Celsius Pro: Celsius Pro is an advanced crypto management system for institutions. It offers more features, functionalities, and benefits.
Nexo offers the following products and services. These include:
- Savings Interest Account: Deposit cryptocurrencies and earn up to 12% interest with daily payouts. You can earn an extra interest bonus on the NEXO coin.
- Crypto-Backed Loans: Use your digital assets as collateral to borrow funds in USD. Enjoy benefits like automatic approval and no credit checks.
- Exchange: Buy and sell over 100 crypto and fiat pairs at the best market prices in real-time. Enjoy benefits like unlimited swaps, fixed price, and immediate execution.
- Nexo Card: Carry your crypto assets wherever you go with a Nexo card. Pay in local currencies to over 40 million+ merchants worldwide.
- Nexo Token: Buy Nexo tokens to get higher interest rates on your deposits, lower loan interest rates, and consistent dividends.
Verdict: Celsius is the winner, as it has more products and features than Nexo.
NEX Token vs. CEL Token
As discussed, both NEXO and Celsius have their native tokens known as NEX and CEL, respectively. Let’s compare the two tokens and the benefits you can claim by owning them.
- NEX Token
With the NEX token, you can earn a daily interest rate of up to 8% on cryptocurrencies (up from 6%) and 12% on stablecoins (up from 10%). If you hold NEX, you can use Nexo’s Instant Crypto Credit Lines to borrow funds at a 6.9 APR.
NEX holders also receive yearly dividends. Nexo has paid over $29 million in dividends to NEX holders over three years.
- CEL Token
With CEL, you can earn up to 25% extra weekly rewards. This includes up to a 25% discount on all loan interest payments. CEL holders can also benefit from a higher APY of 4.9% on their crypto deposits. Celsius Network pays dividends to CEL token holders, though the exact dividend payout details aren’t public.
Verdict: It’s a tie, as both the tokens offer similar benefits.
The fee is an important factor to consider when choosing a crypto management platform. Let’s compare the fees charged by Nexo and Celsius.
Nexo states on its website that there are no prepayment, origination, or installment fees. However, when you withdraw funds, a withdrawal fee may be applicable based on your tier.
Celsius claims that it doesn’t charge any fee. On its website, the company mentions that it doesn’t charge any transfer fees, withdrawal fees, transaction fees, origination fees, or early termination fees.
Verdict: It’s a tie, as both the companies don’t charge any fee.
Safety & Security Features
Both Nexo and Celsius boast impressive security features. Nexo states that it offers military-grade security, including:
- Multi-signature cold storage wallets
- Class III vaults through BitGo (SOC2 type-2 crypto custodian)
- Undergoes extensive auditing process
- ISO/IEC compliant security management systems
Celsius also implements similar security features, including:
- Two-factor authentication
- Multi-signature cold storage wallets
- Top-notch platform security
- Manual authorization of withdrawals
- Insurance through Fireblocks
Additionally, both providers are regulated. Nexo is regulated by various agencies in each state and Switzerland, Australia, and Canada. Celsius is also SEC-compliant.
However, Celsius doesn’t work with BitGo or any other custodian and relies on its in-house systems for insurance and security.
Verdict: It’s a tie, as both the companies offer similar security features.
Cryptos are not eligible for FDIC insurance. However, as discussed, Nexo works with BitGo, a SOC2 type-2 cryptocurrency custodian, and has an insurance pool worth $100 million. Similarly, Celsius works with Fireblocks to provide insurance on digital assets.
Verdict: It’s a tie, as both platforms offer insurance through third-party custodians.
Minimum Deposits & Withdrawal Limits
Nexo has reasonable minimum balance requirements to start earning interest. The minimum deposit amount depends on the asset you deposit. For instance, the minimum deposit requirement for BTC is 0.001 BTC and 0.001 ETH for ETH.
The minimum deposit is 1.00 for all stablecoins, including USDT, USDC, and TUSD. Follow this page for more information about minimum balance requirements.
Nexo imposes withdrawal limits based on the type of wallet and verification level.
For the savings wallet, the withdrawal limit is $20,000 per day for Starter, $20,000 for Basic, and $500,000 per day for Advanced account levels. For the credit line wallet, the limit for Starter, Basic, and Advanced levels are $20,000/day, $2,000,000/day, and $2,000,000/day, respectively.
Celsius, on the other hand, has no minimum deposit requirements. You can start earning interest on any amount you want. However, Celsius has a withdrawal limit of $600,000 per 24 hours.
Verdict: It’s a tie.
Can You Trade Cryptos on Nexo and Celsius?
Nexo allows you to trade over 20 cryptocurrencies. You can buy and sell assets in real-time. However, the platform doesn’t offer margin trading, and the option to trade crypto derivatives is also not available.
Nexo doesn’t have a dedicated trading platform, so you’ll need to use a third-party charting tool like TradingView to make better trading decisions.
Celsius shares the same features as Nexo when it comes to crypto trading. It allows you to buy and sell over 40 cryptocurrency assets; however, it doesn’t offer any margin or support derivatives trading. Celsius also doesn’t have a trading platform, and you’ll need to use an external charting system to make trading decisions.
Verdict: It’s a tie. Both the exchanges allow you to trade cryptos; however, they lack advanced trading capabilities.
Account Sign-Up Process & KYC
Nexo and Celsius both have a seamless sign-up process. Since both the exchanges are regulated, you need to complete the KYC verification before using their services.
To register on Nexo, visit their homepage and click on Create Account. You’ll be able to create an account with your email ID and password. Thereafter, you can complete your identity verification and start using the services.
Similarly, to register on Celsius, you need to download the Celsius app. The app is available on iOS and Android. There is no desktop version. After downloading the app, register with the promo code “HODL50” to earn $50 worth of BTC.
Verdict: It’s a tie, as both Nexo and Celsius require a KYC to sign up.
Nexo is available in most countries around the world. However, there are a few countries in which Nexo doesn’t offer its services.
Some major countries where Nexo is unavailable are Bulgaria, Cuba, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, South Sudan, Sudan, Yemen, and Zimbabwe.
Celsius is also available in almost all countries apart from a few nations sanctioned by the US, the UK, or the EU. These include Iran, North Korea, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, and Cuba.
Verdict: It’s a tie, as both Nexo and Celsius are available in the same countries.
- Is Nexo Safe?
Nexo is a completely safe, reputable, trustworthy, and legitimate cryptocurrency company. It is regulated in the US and 200 other countries where it offers services. It also provides insurance up to $100 million against theft or fraud. Nexo has mandatory KYC requirements.
- Is Celsius Safe?
Yes, Celsius is a completely safe and secure platform. Regulated by the US SEC, it offers reliable services and takes all the essential security measures. Celsius also requires all its users to perform identity verification.
Celsius Pros & Cons
Celsius has similar features and products like Nexo. Let’s look at the pros and cons of Celsius.
- Zero fees
- Up to 17.7% interest on savings accounts
- Flexible crypto-backed loans
- Top-notch security
- Amazing bonuses on using CEL token
- Additional features like CelPay
- Only available as a mobile app
- No trading platform
- No margin or derivatives trading
Nexo Pros & Cons
Nexo is a full-service crypto platform that allows you to do more with your crypto assets. Here are the pros and cons of using Nexo.
- Zero fees
- High yield up to 12% on savings accounts
- Low APR rates on crypto-backed loans
- Top-notch features for institutions
- Responsive and intuitive mobile app
- Advanced security features
- No trading platform
- No margin trading or derivatives trading
- Fewer educational resources
Nexo and Celsius are amazing crypto platforms, and there is no clear winner. Both the platforms are US-based and SEC-regulated. They take industry-grade security measures and offer insurance on crypto deposits.
Therefore, if you’re a new crypto user who wants to do more with their crypto assets, you can choose any of the two platforms.
There are only two noticeable differences between Nexo and Celsius. Nexo offers a higher LTV up to 90%, whereas Celsius provides LTV up to 50% only. But Celsius has more products and features, along with dedicated solutions for institutions.
To conclude, if a higher loan-to-value ratio is your priority, Nexo will be the ideal pick for you. Celsius will be the better choice if you’re looking for a more robust platform with institution-grade features.
- Bitcoin Transaction Accelerator: 5 Services to Unstuck Your BTC - September 23, 2023
- What Is Bitcoin Private Key? Everything You Need To Know !! - June 2, 2023
- Best Cardano (ADA) Wallets To Use In 2023 - May 7, 2023